Some Eco-friendly DIY Knitting

June 27, 2012 at 3:02 pm Leave a comment

Wool is awesome.

Well, yes, we all knew that or else you probably wouldn’t be reading this. Knitters love wool. We go to stores just to pet it. We spend hours relaxing to it’s wonderful squishiness. And yet so often we find ourselves defending our wool fetish. Until now.

I’ve started to explore wool diaper covers. And in the cloth diapering, hippy, all-natural world I find myself in way too often, wool is the coveted cloth diapering solution. Wool is an awesome all-natural waterproofing material, and it’s actually way cooler for babies than the synthetic stuff that the normal diaper covers are made out of, making them great for summer. (If your interested to see how it actually works, take a look at this article). After seeing the adorable wool covers commercially available, the i-could-make-that-for a tenth-of-the-cost bug bit pretty hard. Seriously, they charge like $40 for something that costs me about $4 and a few hours to make. They were so cute and they looked like such fun, instant gratification, save money while being eco-friendly knitting, that i just couldn’t resist the challenge.

I  started trolling ravelry for a pattern but none of them were quite what I was looking for. Most of the patterns out there were more just cute little rompers to throw over a disposable diaper. Cute, but didn’t strike me as being totally functional for my cloth diapering needs. The ones that did seem designed for cloth diaper use seemed super functional almost all called for worsted yarn. Not a huge problem, but aesthetically speaking, I feel like fingering or sport weight yarn and their related gauges are just more in-scale with a baby’s size. So I think that narrowed it down to one pattern, but it was knit flat, and I really, really prefer my projects in the round if at all possible. So I pulled out my sketchbook and calculator.

It turned out to be just enough math to provide a delightful little bit of intellectual stimulation, and enough ribbing and stockinette to give me some “zen” knitting when I had 15 minutes of quiet and really needed to unwind a bit. I also feel like I beefed up my technique toolbox a bit while working on this. The legs required a bind off after about an inch of ribbing. Since I knit my socks top down instead of toe up, I’ve never really had to perfect my ribbed bind-off. So I poked around the internet and found Jeny’s Suprisingly Stretchy Bind-off on Knitty. I’m in love, this is a technique I wish I had known years ago!

Since this photo, I finished the other leg. In spite of a bit of a bad mood, I immediately tried it on Chad and it fit really well! Time to go get him up from his nap and see if he’s actually dry! FO pics tomorrow. 🙂

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Knitting. Tags: , , , , , , .

A Little Process Knitting Overall…a Success!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Visit My Ravelry Page Follow on Twitter Follow on Facebook Subscribe with RSS Follow Me on Pinterest

Archives

June 2012
M T W T F S S
« May   Jul »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  

Blog Stats

  • 50,137 hits

%d bloggers like this: